Sunday 31 January 2016

A Genie Called Vodka & Other Short Stories - Bob Summer


A Genie Called Vodka & Other Short Stories is an excellent collection of stories from author Bob Summer.

The six short stories cover a variety of topics ranging from alcoholism to mental health issues. Don't let the subject matter put you off, these are wonderfully written stories that could easily be turned into full length novels. In the short time I had to get to know the characters I found myself genuinely caring about each one.

The recurring theme in each story is neglect. The fact that these children and young adults continue to battle through and try and survive to the best of their ability when it seems all hope is lost is vividly portrayed.

Bob Summer is a very talented and accomplished writer who is able to put a positive spin on stories that are both heartbreaking and harrowing. Her writing is addictive and that's why I wish that some of these tales were longer. If you're on the look-out for a new author I would highly recommend you read this as an introduction to Bob's work before moving on to her other novel's which include the great psychological thriller Alone But Not Lost which I read last year and you can read my review here.

A Genie Called Vodka & Other Short Stories is available free on Amazon at the time of writing.

With kind thanks to author Bob Summer for the review copy.


2 comments:

  1. Oh - these look really interesting. I'll have to investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do Linda, with your recent interest in short stories I think you might enjoy these :)

    ReplyDelete