Sunday 21 August 2016

The Hippo Hands Over . . . . to Linda Huber


I'm absolutely thrilled to be handing over to Linda Huber and what a post she's got for you all today! I won't give too much away but I will say that it includes some exclusive information about her upcoming new release but I'll let Linda tell you about that and I'll just introduce you to the lovely lady herself.

Photo courtesy of Linda Huber


Linda Huber grew up in Glasgow, Scotland, but went to work in Switzerland for a year aged twenty-two, and has lived there ever since. Her day jobs have included working as a physiotherapist in hospitals and schools for handicapped children, and teaching English in a medieval castle. Not to mention several years spent as a full-time mum to two boys and a rescue dog.
Linda’s books are psychological suspense novels, and the ideas for them come from her daily life. The Paradise Trees and The Cold Cold Sea were traditionally published (Legend Press) in 2013/2014 before she self-published The Attic Room in 2015 and Chosen Child in 2016.





Ward Zero – childhood dream meets modern-day scam…
One day, I must have been about nine or ten, I went with my grandmother to a church sale of work. (Granny was a great one for sales of work, and I always went too, because of the home baking – sugary tablet was a treat I was only allowed on sale days.) Off went Granny to inspect the handwork stall, and I wandered over to the book table, where I found a battered copy of Doreen Swinburne’s Jean SRN, the story of a young woman in the run-up to her nursing finals. Home again, I read it in almost one sitting, and that was it. I was going to be a nurse. Jean’s training sounded amazing – glamorous doctors in white coats, starched sisters bustling around, patients being whizzed to various departments for high-powered treatments.
   That book started my love affair with hospitals, but when the time came to make my career choice I’d read Sue Takes Up Physiotherapy, and I went for that instead of nursing. By then, another fascination had started, and I was devouring every psychological suspense novel I could find. Robin Cook and his medically-themed books – Coma was the first – were my favourites. Murder and suspense in a hospital – perfect!
   It’s years now since I worked as a physio, but I still find hospitals irresistible, so I decided to give my fifth book a medical setting. Ward Zero is the result. Visiting her foster mum after a knee operation, Sarah realises that all is not as it should be in Brockburn General Hospital. Part of the plot involves something that’s often been in the news here over the past few years – the ‘Grandchild-Trick’, a scam where conmen manipulate vulnerable older people into handing over their savings. And the scammer in my book doesn’t stop at extortion. When Sarah lands in ‘ward zero’, she’s in danger of her life…
   I really enjoyed writing this one, though I have to say, the post-operative treatment of knee replacements has changed since my physio days! I’m lucky I still have my hospital contacts to keep me right.
   Afterwards, something odd happened. Real life and Ward Zero collided. Last spring, I was delivering copies of Chosen Child to a bookshop in Liechtenstein. The owner asked about my next novel, and when I explained she said, ‘Oh! You know, that almost happened to me last year!’ She went on to tell me about a phone call where the caller pretended to be a friend of her son’s. Fortunately, she realised what was going on, and slammed the phone down. Hearing about it gave me a jolt – someone I knew could have been the victim of such a cruel hoax.
   I’m glad to say that what happens to the bad guys in my book should be enough to put anyone off trying their own scam!
   And here it is – seen for the first time on the www, the cover for Ward Zero, designed by the amazing Debbie Bright at The Cover Collection. 







Horror swept through her. Had she been buried alive?
On Sarah’s first visit to see her foster mother, Mim, in Brockburn General Hospital, she is sucked into a world that isn’t what it should be.
Someone is lying, someone is stealing. And someone is killing – but who? With a grieving child to take care of, as well as Mim, Sarah has to put family first. She doesn’t see where danger lies – until it’s too late.
If you think you’re safe in a hospital, think again.



Sounds and looks fantastic doesn't it? I can't wait to read it. The good news is it's available to pre-order now here for delivery to your reading device on October 1st and watch out for my review which will be coming soon!

If you'd like to find out more about Linda or connect with her you can use the links below:
Amazon UK
Amazon US
Twitter
Facebook
Website
Blog

I'd like to say a huge thank you to Linda for stopping by today and for sharing her exciting news about Ward Zero, it's been an absolute pleasure.

20 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me on your lovely blog, Neats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome anytime Linda and thank you for giving me an exclusive! 😉

      Delete
  2. Such a fantastic post, can't wait to read Ward Zero and what a cover!

    Emma @damppebbles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more Emma. Not long to wait!

      Delete
    2. It's by the fab The Cover Collection. They've done me proud again :-)

      Delete
  3. Pretty ordered this, sounds really good. Luv an intro to someone I've not read before, thanks ladies & Hippo of course 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa, I'm sure Linda will be thrilled. Please come back and share your thoughts once you've read it 😉

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Theresa, hope you like it! It's set around sunny Manchester where some friends live!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations!! Another superb cover Linda and the content sounds pretty terrific too. I shall pop off and pre-order it now but you know you're so prolific I still have Chosen Child to get to!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment Georgia. I can highly recommend Chosen Child, maybe you should give it a little nudge up your TBR 😉

      Delete
    2. Thanks as always, Georgia! xx

      Delete
  5. Great post and I like the sound of the new book, on my want list! @karendennise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. It does sound great doesn't it and it's interesting to know a little bit of the background of how the story came about.

      Delete
  6. Whoa! Sounds fascinating. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a lot of people can't wait to get their hands on this Christa. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.

      Delete
  7. Spell bounding cover and Ward Zero certainly intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by James.I'll be reading it very soon so please do come back and check out my review 😉

      Delete
  8. Thanks Neat,cert look forward to your review :)

    ReplyDelete