Saturday 31 December 2016

The Hippo's Top 12 books of 2016



It's that time of year again where I sit down and look back at all the books I've read over the last twelve months and what a year 2016 has been!

I've read some amazing books and it's always difficult to pick out my favourites. Having read 85 books this year it's been a tough job but after some careful consideration I've managed to whittle it down to twelve.

So lovely readers, here (in no particular order other than roughly the order in which I read them) are my favourite books of 2016. You can read my review of each book by clicking on the book title and author.


Our Song - Dani Atkins





A stunning beautiful book about two ordinary couples whose lives intertwine. Set over a period of just 24 hours this book broke me and I loved it.











Behind Closed Doors - B A Paris



A truly terrifying glimpse into one woman's claustrophobic marriage and a must read for all fans of psychological thrillers.















No Longer Safe - A. J. Waines





A tense, atmospheric and dark read about two friends reconnecting but one of them has an ulterior motive.













Bloq - Alan Jones




A nail biting book following one man's desperate search to find his missing daughter.














See How They Run - Tom Bale






A young couple and their eight week old daughter find their lives in danger when masked men break into their house.











My Girl - Jack Jordan




A hard hitting novel about an emotionally disturbed woman on the verge of collapse following the presumed murder of her daughter and her husband's suicide.












My Husband's Wife - Amanda Prowse






A woman's idyllic life when her husband announces he's leaving her and their children for another woman.











Loose Canon - Jack Steele





A hard-hitting, fast-paced crime thriller following a detective as he immerses himself in the deadly world of the London Mafia.












Sing To Silent Stones: Violet's War - David Snell





A beautiful and sometimes harrowing story of a young woman growing up in war time England.












Angel: A DCI Ryan Mystery - L.J. Ross





Two seemingly unconnected murders and a hunt for a serial killer in the fourth book in the DCI Ryan series.












The Good Enough Mother - Anoushka Beazley





A satirical look at life through the eyes of a step-mother, this book has it all.












The Puppet Master - Abigail Osborne






A first-rate psychological thriller about two seemingly unconnected people who it turns out have someone in common.












So there you have it, my pick of the best books I've read this year. I'd love to hear your thoughts on my choices, have you read any of them and did you enjoy them as much as I did?

While you're here I'd just like to thank everyone that takes the time to stop by and read my reviews and leave comments, I love hearing from you all. I'd also like to thank all of the fabulous authors and publishers that have contacted me to read their books or have written great feature posts for me. I'd also like to say a big thank you to all of my fellow book bloggers, your constant support and friendship is just amazing, so thank you to each and everyone of you, I won't name you all personally for fear of accidentally leaving someone out but I'm sure you all know who you are.


2016 has been a fabulous bookish year and 2017 is already looking fantastic too an I'm looking forward to sharing more reviews with you all, but for now I'd just like to wish you all a very Happy New Year!!








1 comment: