Saturday 27 October 2018

The Hippo Hangs Out . . . . with Laura Laakso


I'm absolutely delighted to welcome author Laura Laakso to The Hippo today. Her debut novel, Fallible Justice, is published next month and having been lucky enough to have received an ARC copy, I can tell you that it's a cracking read, but you'll have to wait until the 10th of November for my full review!  But take a look at the cover and the blurb and see what you think.





In Old London, where paranormal races co-exist with ordinary humans, criminal verdicts delivered by the all-seeing Heralds of Justice are infallible. After a man is declared guilty of murder and sentenced to death, his daughter turns to private investigator Yannia Wilde to do the impossible and prove the Heralds wrong.Yannia has escaped a restrictive life in the Wild Folk conclave where she was raised, but her origins mark her as an outsider in the city. Those origins lend her the sensory abilities of all of nature. Yet Yannia is lonely and struggling to adapt to life in the city. The case could be the break she needs. She enlists the help of her only friend, a Bird Shaman named Karrion, and together they accept the challenge of proving a guilty man innocent. So begins a breathless race against time and against all conceivable odds. Can Yannia and Karrion save a man who has been judged infallibly guilty?



So, now that you know about the book, allow me to introduce you all to the lady behind the words and let's chat.

Photo courtesy of Laura Laakso


Laura Laakso is a Finn living in the UK with a flatmate who knows too much and their three dogs. When she is not writing or competing with her Australian Shepherd, she works as an accountant. Her debut novel, Fallible Justice, will be published by Louise Walters Books in November 2018 and the sequel, Echo Murder, on 6 June 2019.


                                                       *    *    *    *


What book/books made you cry and why?
A Dog’s Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron. Any book that involves a dog dying is likely to reduce me to tears, but A Dog’s Purpose was particularly touching. My older dog is nearly twelve, and I’m very conscious of her place in my life and how much she means to me. Imagining her returning to bring happiness to someone else helps. 




This sounds like the kind of book I’d love and one that would make me ugly cry. I have to add it to my list!



What would you say is your most interesting writing quirk?
I’m extremely productive on public transport. Put me on a bus, plane or train, and words just pour out of me. Come to think of it, it’s probably because there are fewer things to distract me. Unfortunately, I can’t write all my drafts flying back and forth to Finland, but I always look forward to travel days because I know I’ll get a lot done.

What advice would you give your younger self?
Don’t be in such a rush to pursue your dreams that you work yourself to the ground. Be patient. Good things are going to come your way.



Where did your love of books/storytelling/reading/writing etc come from?
From early childhood when I not only got a bedtime story (or several) every evening, but also a morning story over breakfast. Everyone in my family loves reading so having a book at hand even as a child felt natural. At school, when I learned to write, we were given pictures to write stories on. Mine were always about three times longer than everyone else’s! I’ve been devouring books all my life, so it was inevitable that I took an interest in telling stories too. Initially, it was in the form of tabletop roleplaying games, and later I turned to writing fanfiction, then short stories and novels. I’m hooked for life!

If you could spend time with a character from your book who would it be and why? What would you get up to?
Lady Bergamon, a Plant Shaman who is a recurring character in my Wilde Investigations series. Her garden domain is an extraordinary place of wildness and natural beauty. Having grown up in Finland surrounded by forests and wilderness, Lady Bergamon’s domain is an idealised version of my fondest childhood memories. As for what we’d do, we’d have tea and cake on her patio and then walk barefoot through woods, meadows and orchards. I can’t think of a better day to spend a day (other than writing, of course!).




I loved Lady Bergamon and her garden sounded exquisite. I can see why you’d want to spend time there and this is how I imagined a tiny part of it.

You get a brilliant idea/thought/phrase at an inappropriate moment (eg in the shower or driving) what do you do?
Have a stern talk with my brain about the appropriate moments for providing inspiration (for me, it’s usually the shower) and then spend the rest of the inappropriate moment thinking about the idea and developing it so I won’t forget. I have been known to run across the flat wearing only a towel to find the nearest notebook. Much to my flatmate’s relief, it’s never happened while she’s been around.



Describe yourself in five words.
Finnish, writer, artist, strange, introverted.

If you were a superhero what would you be called, what would your super-power be and what would you wear?
I probably should pick something cool like teleportation or mind reading, but actually, I’d like to be able to speak with animals. I’d dress from head to toes in green and be the tree-hugging ninja that rescues dogs from puppy mills and leads badgers to safety. So I’m guessing Tree-Hugger would be a suitably (un)cool superhero name for me.


That sounds great Laura, just the type of superhero I think the world needs!😉


You can find out more about Laura, her book and connect with her using the links below:


I'd like to say a huge thank you to Laura for taking the time to stop by and chat with me today. It's been great getting to know you and I'm looking forward to sharing my review of Fallible Justice. 😀


No comments:

Post a Comment