Sunday 5 July 2015

Glass Cutter: A Sgt Major Crane Thriller - Wendy Cartmell







Glass Cutter is a gem of a book that I luckily stumbled across one day as I was looking through various book related websites that book bloggers look at. Despite being number seven in a series it can easily be read as a stand-alone.

Louise is married to Peter, a Colonel in the army, and they have just relocated to Aldershot. It's not a happy marriage as Peter has lost interest in his wife and only really pays her any attention when they are at army social gatherings.

The story starts when Louise finds a journal wrapped in a silk headscarf hidden in a chest in the basement of their new house. The journal is embossed with the name Matilda Underwood and Louise is instantly intrigued and starts to read it. She discovers that Matilda's life is an unhappy one just like her own and Louise soon feels an affinity with her and begins to look upon Matilda as her only friend.

The more Louise reads, the more admiration she feels for Matilda who has taken a stand against the people who have previously wronged her and influenced by the journal Louise's own life begins to spiral out of control.

I enjoyed reading this book. It's written in a very easy to read style which flows nicely and the plot is well thought out. The author's knowledge of the military comes across well and as it's set in my home town that really appealed to me and I quite often found myself smiling when place names were mentioned. I'm pleased to have found this new author and thrilled to know that Wendy has written more which I will definitely be adding to my TBR at some point very soon.

You can find out more information on Wendy Cartmell and her books here.

With kind thanks to Wendy Cartmell for the review copy.





No comments:

Post a Comment