Tuesday 3 November 2015

Out of the Darkness: A tale of love, loss and life after death - Katy Hogan






Out of the darkness is the story of three seemingly unconnected women, Jessica, Hannah and Alex but after a chance meeting they become close friends and discover they have much more in common than they realise.

Jessica has lost her mother and is finding day to day life a struggle and the last thing she wants after her shift at the hospital one New Year's Eve, is to be dragged into a party by an old school friend. After meeting Finn and Mark she manages to escape but Finn follows her and things start to look brighter for Jessica.

One evening, after leaving a grief counselling session Jessica faints and is helped by Hannah and Alex and their friendships are formed. All three of these women have their own secrets and troubles but none of them are ready to share.

Stories about life after death aren't for everyone but this is such a beautiful and thought provoking novel you shouldn't be put off as it's such an uplifting story of friendship, redemption and love as well. Each character is written in such a way that you feel like you are a part of their group and you know them all personally. Katy Hogan has written a stunning debut novel which, after I'd finished reading it, made me think of the Chinese (Red) String Theory based on the following proverb:

An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstances. The thread may stretch or tangle but will never break.

I absolutely loved this book and I will be telling everyone and anyone who will listen to me about it for a good few weeks to come but at the same time I'm sad I've read it as I'd love to read it again without knowing what was to come. I believe that there is a second novel in progress and I can't wait.

With kind thanks to author Katy Hogan for the review copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment